Darren Rouse of Problogger.net posted a really good article about on why he things personal blogs can be helpful.
Personally, I’ve had to step away from my personal blog to get my new business site up (this site). With dmiracle.com, I’ve integrated a blog into my site, changed my marketing focus and created a whole new site structure to support a new direction in my business. All of this I’ve done within WordPress. I love WordPress, by the way. Anyway, as you can guess, I’ve had too much on my plate to keep my personal blog going. Yet, once Healthy WebDesign is complete, I see me getting back to my personal blog as a testing ground for blog ideas.
Here’s what Darren had to say about why personal blogging can be helpful.
- teach you the skills of blogging
- familiarize you with the tools of blogging
- help you work out how much time you have
- help you work out if you can sustain blogging for the long term
- give you a taste of blogging â€˜culture'
- help you define a niche
- help you find a readership
Darren explains each point. I think the key for me is just get started blogging. You will learn as you go anyway. So I’d agree with Darren.