Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Jean Browman--Cheerful Monk says

A friend of mine has just decided he wants to sell his photographs. Creating a website is the natural way to go, so of course I plan to help him. That first step can be overwhelming if you haven’t done it before. Getting help from a friend is the easiest way to get started.

2. Karin H. says

Hi Dawud

You’re very fortunate (and so is Adam of course ;-))
    Fortunate in the way that your friend you’re willing and wanting to help not only listens to you, but also implements your tips, advice etc.

It can get very frustrating when a business friend wants your help, asks for your help, receives this help willingly given and doesn’t help himself afterwards.
    Not just once, happened to me a few times (with the same business friend).
    I still offer help, but now on the ‘jokingly’ condition that I only help when he really does something with it, not just nods and agrees with the ideas – even getting very excited and ‘all thrusters are go’ – but still…
    (And on this occasion I’m not the impatience person I can normally by – this is going on for 1.5 years now – but I cannot not help him it seems ;-))

Karin H. (Keep It Simple Sweetheart, specially in business)

3. Char Brooks says

This may be off the subject but I’ll throw it in anyway.
    I’ve personally worked with Adam and used his products.
    He is incredibly insightful and has moved me forward in awesome ways.
    If you haven’t experienced Adam’s work and you are looking for some sweet inspiration, check out his website!
    He’s simply the best!

4. Adam Kayce : Monk At Work says

And thanks again, Dawud, for all your (continuing) help. I studied marketing before, albeit in a much more conventional/old-school sense, but that left me in the dark around the ways that conversational marketing (i.e. the blogosphere, social marketing, all the things you’re golden at) worked.

I think I’m starting to get the hang of it now… and in the words of a long-time friend of mine, “it’s great to see that I’ve found a way of marketing that really works with who I am.”

5. Traveller says

Interesting post. I think providing help to someone is one of the most energizing experiences. When someone seeks me out for help, it gives me a high, especially if the help I give makes a positive difference. And when the help you provide is knowledge you actually gain more of it by giving.

6. Dawud Miracle says

Everybody,
    Sorry I didn’t respond sooner to your comments. Due to the server issues I had last week, I was unable to get access to my blog at all.

Thanks for your support and your patience. Now, on to your comments.

7. Dawud Miracle says

Jean,
    You’re right. What can you do to make it easy – and less scary – on him?

Karin,
    I’ve definitely been there. It’s even better when clients do the same thing. I always wonder why people bother asking if they don’t plan on listening to what I have to offer.

Char,
    Couldn’t agree more. Adam’s a hidden jewel. I’d love to see all of us help him get ‘uncovered.’

Adam,
    It’s so important to find not only what works, but what works for you, your temperament, and your abilities when it comes to your business. There really is no formula that works for everyone. Every formula needs to be eaten, digested and nourishing to our own businesses.

Really great point. And I’m so happy to have helped you in every way I have/can.

Is there one thing you think I’ve shared with you that’s helped you the most?

Tom,
    Obviously, I agree. Yet, everything is a journey.

Traveller,
    Yes. I know what you mean. I love helping people. That’s why I do what I do.

8. Adam Kayce : Monk At Work says

Hmm, good question. A bit hard to sum up… but your “Three Halves of Blogging” has got to rank up there among the best of it all.

Can’t wait to see your book come out! 😉

9. Tom Tiernan says

Hi Dawud

I am a firm believer in ‘If you want to learn something teach it’. Its a great way to expand knowledge and really look at all the small details of how to do something that might otherwise escape notice. And of course just helping a friend is a reward in and of itself.

I’ve been throwing around ideas (in my head) for a post on innovation and the idea of sharing which I think your post ties nicely into. Another facet.

10. Dawud Miracle says

Adam,
    Me too. When I get this kitchen remodel done (couple weeks), I can throw myself full-on into it.

Tom,
    Me too. Whenever I really want to learn something I approach it as though I’m going to teach it – even if I don’t. That way, I learn as though I’m a student being taught myself. I find it a great approach.

Trackbacks